Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fourth of July



The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. Between the parade, the family cookout, and the fireworks; I just can't get enough! This year was no exception and was actually a bit more fun because we celebrated as a family of four and it couldn't have been more perfect. We actually started celebrating on July 3rd, which is when Rantoul does their fireworks. It was chilly out that day but we totally underestimated how chilly it would be. Luckily, we brought a bunch of blankets and sat all bundled up surrounded by my family. Lachlan got to run around with his cousins before it got dark out and he loved his freedom! The firework show was somewhat of a disappointment: only lasting about fifteen minutes but it was so cold by this point that we really didn't mind.


After the fireworks we headed home and got the kids put down for bed. Ridley was already asleep in the car on the way home so that part wasn't too difficult at all. Kyle and I stayed up and prepped for the next day by making a dip that we were bringing to the cookout and getting french toast casserole in the crockpot for breakfast. We woke up pretty early on the 4th and headed over to my mom's for my french toast casserole and bacon...so yummy! Afterwards, we walked down to the parade and met up with the rest of my family. This was the best parade Rantoul has had in YEARS! It was nice and long and very enjoyable. The weather was perfect so that helped, also. Lachlan loved every second of collecting candy and even brought his drum to play along with the band. I swear this boy is so cute! 





That afternoon we headed over to my aunt's house for a family BBQ. We made homemade macaroni and cheese which turned out so good! After the cookout we headed home for a quick nap before heading out to the Champaign Urbana fireworks at Memorial Stadium, just us and the kids. We brought our blankets to lay out in the grass and bought some Krazy Korn (mix of cheese, caramel, and kettle popcorn) and just enjoyed the event. They had a band playing and were selling glow sticks and swords, which of course Lachlan got. The firework show itself was really great this year! They played patriotic music and had the fireworks going off with the music which was really cool. Ridley stayed up through his entire show. I think both kids were pretty amazed! This was the perfect way to celebrate the fourth. 



The next day was back to work for me for a couple hours so I was back to reality pretty quickly but that night we continued our weekend of fun by playing with sparklers and eating s'mores out on the patio.


 I hope you all had a great holiday! I am so proud to be an American and to be able to celebrate such an amazing day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment